We have attempted to answer all F.A.Q.’s here, however, if
you think of anything please do not hesitate to contact any
of the WoodGrainGirls for help!
What is the IG Builders Challenge?
- The IG Builders Challenge was created so that twice a year we can come together as builders and have a building party together! We provide one plan for you to build and give you three weeks to build it and post it to your IG account. Your piece will then be judged and three winners will be chosen. If you’d like to join the party and receive a set of plans the day the challenge starts click HERE.
What are the IG Builders Challenge rules?
- The rules are pretty simple- Modifications are allowed and encouraged. The whole point of this challenge is to see what everyone’s interpretation is of the same plan. However, we must be able to tell the plan you used is the plan that we provided. If we can’t tell you used this plan, then your piece will be immediately disqualified. For example, if the challenge is to build a dining table, don’t build a bed. If we ask you to build a coffee table and you build a desk by simply changing the hight, this is an allowable modification. We must see the origination of the plan. Again, modifications are not required, but encouraged because its fun to see each builders character in these builds.
What kind of materials can I use to build this piece?
- Any materials can be included with wood when building your piece.
How am I judged?
- The judges are provided a template provided by us to judge your piece. They will use a 1-5 method with criteria such as modifications, creativity, finish, build, origination etc. to judge your piece. The build with the highest cumulative points is the winner.
- Beginning with Season 5 there will be one judge who will score just your finishing techniques of you build and the highest score will receive the a package prize for finest finish.
- Also new this year, the third winner will be the fan favorite who receives the most votes for their piece. Follow the IG Builders Challenge on Instagram or any of the IGBC Building Team to stay up to date with all of the latest info.
How will you find my build so I can make sure I’m judged?
- Once you post your final project you must post your piece and then fill out our IGBC completion form. IF YOU DO NOT fill out a completion form- you will NOT be judged. To post progress photos please USE the hashtag #IGBC5progress.
Should we show progress photos?
- 100% YES! We love to cheer you on and believe it or not so do hundreds of others who participate and watch the challenge every season. Its amazing to see everyone come together and support one another.
- PLEASE post progress photos using the hashtag #IGBC5progress.
- Don’t compete just for prizes, but because this is an opportunity to grow as a builder! This challenge was born to support and encourage each other, please follow your fellow builders and encourage them, whether they be seasoned or new, this is a wonderful opportunity to meet new friends and learn new techniques. If you are seasoned and find the build simple, then challenge yourself with something you’ve always wanted to try maybe thru new joinery or finishing techniques.
- Here’s our Season 4 Winner Julie_o_Woodworx’s opinion on what you should compete!
CAN YOU DO MORE MINI CHALLENGES?
- We can’t commit or announce anything, but we are working on a mini-challenge hopefully coming soon.
IS THIS CHALLENGE ONLY LIMITED TO THE USA?
- We have had builders from all over hang with us during the challenge and build. Anyone is invited and welcome to build with us. However, our sponsors are only committed to sending products to Canada and the United States because of different rules with sending products to different countries. If you win the challenge we will submit your address to all of our sponsors but we cannot guarentee that they can send the products to you.
CAN A PERSON WIN TWICE?
SO, DO US A SOLID WOULD YA?
- If you have a free moment pop over to our sponsors Instagram’s, give them a follow and tell them how awesome they are for contributing to this challenge. They see our passion for building with their products and to have their involvement is totally awesome. They sponsor this challenge because they want your attention too so click the hashtag #igbc5sponsor to see who’s currently supporting the latest challenge!
CNC Machine From Shapoko. ($1699 value)
One winner will be taking home our Grand Prize, an XXL Shapeko machine. These things are a dream and we couldn’t be more grateful for Shapeko for supporting our builders this season!
Timberland Pro ($200 Value)
Timberland PRO® workwear is engineered to deliver maximum comfort, durability and performance. It’s clothing that fits right and wears hard—day after day. Enjoy your own work outfit courtesy of Timberland Pro.
Revmark ($100 Value)
All RevMark® Markers have our patented holster cap, which clips on a belt or slips in your pockets. Perfect for Carpenters! RevMark is setting up our three winners with a product box of revmark’s as well as their hat’s that have been outfitted with remark pens that haven’t even been released yet.
Osborne Wood ($200 Value)
Enjoy a set of Osborne legs courtesy of Osborne. Since 1979 they have been providing the professional and non-professional woodworker alike with beautifully crafted table legs, island legs, corbels, bun feet, and mouldings.
Mancrafting ($65.00 Value)
Two guys that have been friends for over 20 years who enjoy getting together and doing something completely different than what we do every day for a living. An escape from the routine to stretch our minds and be creative. Enjoy a custom Yeti Tumbler hand crafted by these Manly Men!
Ryobi ($200 Value)
Our two winners will each receive the brand new Ryobi 18V ONE+ Devour Cordless Sweeper. With a 4.5 gallon tub capactiy and over two hour of run time you can quickly sweep up screws, wood scraps, and garbage with a 21 inch cleaning swath.
Gator ($100 Value)
Enjoy a box chalked full of amazing finishing products from Gator®. Gator Finishing Products are designed for both professional and DIY customers. Gator incorporates all standards for sanding and finishing projects that any working enthusiast would expect as well as innovative new approaches to your basic sanding tasks.
Wall Control ($169 Value)
Over 10 Times Stronger than Conventional Pegboard, wall control is giving our two winners a tool storage kit. Wall Control is committed to being the industry leader in pegboard style storage & organization. Simply put, no other tool storage system can match the quality, versatility, and value of the award winning Wall Control System.
Gorilla Glue ($100 Value)
Enjoy a box full of a variety of Gorilla products! On a mission to make products that deliver impressive results, the company has since expanded its offerings to include Gorilla Tape®, Gorilla® Super Glue, Gorilla® Construction Adhesive, and other premium tapes, sealants, and adhesives.
Cat Footwear ($175 Value)
Born from Bulldosers and Driven by life, Cat Footwear is giving two winners any single pair of Cat Footwear of their choosing.
Watch the videos on the social media platform of your choice to Discover Todays Giveaway. Click on the “find the model # here” link. Submit the answer in your APP and win the tool! It’s that easy to win and we are excited to have the support of What Tool’s Inside as one of our t-shirt sponsors to give our builders a free t-shirt!
Stakracks ($100 Value)
The inventors of the Stakrack needed a product that could allow someone to paint doors and trim in a small space. They invented the starack allowing multiple products to be painted and stacked on top of eachother. Once we experienced how well it worked out for us, we shared it with others. Before long an ever growing demand ensued. We decided to patent it and produce it for all contractors to take advantage of. They are giving two winners a contractor pack of Stakracks.
A food-safe wood finish made of FDA compliant Coconut Oil, Mineral Oil, Vitamin E, and Beeswax, safe for food contact surfaces such as cutting boards and butcher blocks. Shelf stable, does not solidify under normal conditions, and has no weird scent. It leaves your board with a smooth finish, rich color, and a little shine. Walrus is giving two winners a jug of oil and a jar of wax!
Haven Technologies, manufacturer of ISOtunes® earplug headphones, combines decades of experience in personal protective equipment (PPE) to bring emerging technologies to consumer safety products for enhancement of protection and performance. ISOtunes® products are designed for daily use by consumers, but tested to the toughest industrial standards. Haven Technologies leverages NVLAP labs and many qualifying agencies to ensure its products meet or exceed rigorous safety, EPA and FCC standards. Two winners are getting a brand new never released pair of ISOtunes ear buds. These have not been released in the market yet, and our winners get to try these first!
SPAX ($250 Value)
Whether you’re a professional contractor or weekend do-it-yourselfer, German engineered / American made SPAX® Multi-material Construction Screws and PowerLags® offer a wide selection of premium quality fastening solutions that help ensure professional results in less time than inferior imported screws. Often imitated, but never duplicated, the unique patented features of SPAX® fasteners reflect nearly two centuries of cold-forming engineering and manufacturing experience.
Follow along and see what our builders created and the latest challenge news by clicking here: #igbuilderschallenge